A new year has begun, and over all, the preceding one ended well. The long Christmas weekend afforded me a chance to tackle something I’d been avoiding for months; a revision to a key scene in a pivotal chapter. It took about 2-1/2 to 3 days, but I excised (possibly exorcised) all the painfully bad content from the initial draft, and replaced with infinitely better material. The core actions of the scene remain the same, but the words used to tell it had to change. I was riding high after that, and looking forward to keeping the trend going over the next four day weekend over New Years. I did put in the work, but the payoff wasn’t nearly as satisfying. What I accomplished was small, but essential, things that contribute to the end game. They just aren’t very visible, which can trick you into thinking you didn’t do anything valuable.
Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances not related to writing, the following week found me utterly useless as far as the book was concerned. Every time I opened the manuscript, no matter what chapter or section I looked at, I loathed and immediately closed the file. It wasn’t until the weekend was nearly over that I got my head back in the right place.
Sometimes, you have to mix up your routine. I’ve alternated between tackling difficult portions, doing simple proofing, and consolidating duplicate notes. This week, I’ve employed the slow but steady approach of condensing notes, with a goal of at least an hour a night, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant the work. It all adds up in the end.